Please remember that the CBP officer at the port of entry decides whether to admit non-immigrants into the United States. The facts and circumstances presented at the time you apply to enter are the basis of this decision. HU cannot guarantee that CBP will admit or re-admit you into the United States.

  • Current Passport valid for at least 6 months after the date of your entry 
  • Valid F-1 Visa (not expired)
  • Travel signature from DSO located on page 2 of your I-20. Signatures are valid for 12 months (6 months while on OPT). If you need a new signature, you can request one in the Terra Dotta System
  • Financial Info showing proof of funds to cover tuition & living expenses (recommended) 
  • Enrollment Verification Letter (not needed while on OPT)
  • Resources: For students returning to the United States, make sure to view the International Travel Requirements from USCIS. 
  • NOTE: Per SEVIS guidelines, F-1 students must attend their classes for every scheduled executive session in which they are registered. Travelling abroad during a scheduled executive session is not recommended. Please see the attendance policy for more details: HU Attendance Policy for F-1 Students.

When you are ready to submit your request, please login to the Terra Dotta System and navigate to the Request Center to find the I-20 Reprint for Travel request. We recommend that students access Terra Dotta through a desktop/laptop device, as mobile compatibility is limited. 

  • EAD Card 
  • Employment Verification Letter (this can be obtained from your boss or your HR department)
  • Recent paystubs
  • NOTE: If you exceed the limits on unemployment while outside the US, you will not be eligible to re-enter in F-1 status. Additionally, you cannot re-enter the US unless you are coming back to a job.
  • COS: If you depart the United States with a pending COS, you have abandoned your application. Additionally, CBP may also consider you ineligible to return to the United States as an F-1 student because your application to change status to that of a permanent resident is evidence of intent to immigrate, which is inconsistent with nonimmigrant student status.
  • Pending OPT: 
    • USCIS may request more information (RFE) while you are abroad. This information can only be sent to a US address and if you are abroad, you will likely miss an important deadline
    • If your OPT is approved while you are outside of the US, you would need to show your EAD card upon re-entry. Your EAD card can only be sent to a US address
    • It is not an option to exit the US and re-enter as a tourist if your OPT has not yet been approved. This will violate your F-1 status and you will lose your OPT benefit