The Program Extension is to be utilized by F-1 students at HU who are unable to complete their course of study by the program end date on their form I-20.
This section guides you through the Eligibility and Application needed for the program extension.
- You must apply for an extension at least 30 days before the expiration date of the I-20
- If you fail to apply prior to the expiration date you will be considered out of status. Please contact a DSO for reinstatement options
- The extension will extend your I-20, but will not extend your visa
- You may remain in the U.S. with an expired visa as long as your I-20 is valid
- If you travel out of the US you may need a new US Entry visa to re-enter
In order to be eligible for a program extension a student must:
- Have continually maintained legal F-1 status
- Seek an extension for a delay caused by a compelling academic or medical need, such as: change of major or research topic, unexpected research problems or documented illness
- Delays caused by academic probation and suspension are not acceptable reasons for program extensions
- A student that does not apply for an extension until after the program end date noted on the Form I-20 is ineligible for a program extension and is considered out of status.
How to Apply
Submit a Program Extension Request HERE
- Click Request
- Read all instructions
- Complete the Program Extension Questionnaire
- Click Submit