The Program Extension is to be utilized by F-1 students at HU who are unable to complete their course of study by the program end date on their form I-20.

This section guides you through the Eligibility and Application needed for the program extension.

Important Notes

  • If you fail to apply prior to the expiration date you will be considered out of status. 
  • The program extension will extend your program in SEVIS (and on your I-20), but will not extend your F-1 visa.
  • You may remain in the U.S. with an expired visa as long as your I-20 is valid.
  • If you travel out of the U.S. you may need a new visa to re-enter the country.


In order to be eligible for a program extension a student must:

  • Have continually maintained legal F-1 status.
  • Seek an extension for a delay caused by a compelling academic or medical reason, such as: change of major or research topic, unexpected research problems, or documented illness.
  • Delays caused by academic probation and suspension are not acceptable reasons for program extensions.
  • A student that does not apply for an extension until after the program end date noted on the Form I-20 is ineligible for a program extension and is considered out of status.

How to Apply

Submit a Program Extension Request HERE

  • Click Request
  • Read all instructions
  • Complete the Program Extension Questionnaire
  • Click Submit