The spouse and unmarried minor children (under 21 years of age) of the F-1 Student Exchange Visitor are eligible for F-2 dependent status if F1 student can provide additional proof of financial support when requesting a new or updating to a current I-20 from .
How can my dependent acquire F-2 status?
Each F-2 dependent must have his/her own I-20. The I-20 can be obtained from the International Student Office (ISO) by the F-1 status holder. The F-2 dependent I-20 should be signed by the F-1 student. Once dependents have their I-20, they must either
1) Apply for an F-2 U.S. Entry Visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate overseas (except Canadian citizens) and gain F-2 status through entry to the U.S. by presenting their
- Dependent I-20
- F-2 U.S. Entry Visa (accompanied by any supporting documents) at the U.S. Port of Entry; OR
2) Apply for a Change of Status within the U.S.
Initial and Continuing F-1 Students
If you are applying for your own initial I-20 and will be accompanied by dependents(s), you need to be sure to include dependent information (and funding should be adequate) in the appropriate section of the I-20 application HERE.
Continuing F-1 Transfer Students
If you are a student holding a valid F-1 SEVIS record at another institution with a dependent or dependents who already hold an F-2 SEVIS record then their record will automatically transfer with the F-1 visa holders record when the transfer to Harrisburg University is initiated. The dependent I-20's will be provided with the F-1 students I-20 at orientation.
*If your dependent(s) does not have an existing F-2 record then you will need to request a dependent I-20 by following the instructions below
How to apply for an I-20 for your dependent(s):
Prepare the required supporting documents and submit a request to Add a New Dependent HERE
- Parents or other relatives are NOT eligible to be F-2 dependents
- Dependent children must be unmarried and under 21 years of age
1) Copy of both passport ID pages for each dependent
2) Copy of your marriage certificate if you have a spouse dependent
3) Copy of the birth certificate for any child dependents
4) A new bank statement (from within the past 6 months) is required to show the $26,500 for student financial support ($16,500 for tuition + $10,000 living expenses) plus an additional $5,000 for first dependent (spouse or child), and $2,500 for each additional dependent
5) If you are using a sponsor (someone other than yourself) for your bank statement, you will also require an affidavit of support: Please see attached document
F-2 Dependents are NOT eligible to work.
Travel and Reentry into the U.S.
F-2 dependents follow similar travel and reentry procedures as the F-1 status holder, but should carry copies of the F-1's most recent immigration documents if traveling separately.
Extension of Stay
The duration of the F-1 status holder's program is stated in item 3 of the I-20. If the F-1 is eligible and applies for an extension of stay, the dependent's period of stay will automatically be extended.