IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: Harrisburg University and International Student Office have no influence over USCIS, the final arbiter of OPT applications. HU and ISO provide no guarantees that your OPT application will be approved. The OPT application is considered your own application. Any communication from USCIS regarding your OPT application status will be sent directly to you.
1. Review the OPT Overview and Eligibility article to be sure you are eligible to apply for Post-Completion OPT.
2. Review your most current I-20 form to determine if you are within 90 days of the program end date. ISO cannot issue you an OPT Recommendation I-20 prior to the start of your final semester or further than 90 days in advance from your program end date.
3. Submit an OPT I-20 Recommendation request through the Terra Dotta portal by clicking here.
4. Review the I-20 you receive from ISO and verify the correct start date is listed for your OPT Recommendation. Once you submit your application to USCIS, you cannot change the recommended start date of your OPT.
5. Submit your application to USCIS within 30 days of the date listed on the OPT recommendation I-20.
At the time of receiving your I-20, you will be given instructions for completing the application process either online or through the mail. ISO cannot advise on the method of delivery you should send your application.
NOTE: If you submit an OPT application to USCIS without an I-20 recommending OPT, your application will be rejected.