F-1 students are required to maintain full-time enrollment during the academic year. If you cannot wait/will not meet the requirement please contact the International Student Office (ISO).
Requesting a Reduced Course Load (RCL) consists of the following steps:
1) Read the Overview of the RCL process
2) Explore the RCL options to see what works for you
3) Submit a request for Authorization of RCL to ISO
Before you begin, please read the following items to understand how the RCL process works.
What is Full-Time and why do I need an RCL?
Federal Regulations limit your ability to enroll less than full-time. If you cannot meet the full-time requirement you need to request an RCL. Dropping below full-time without RCL is considered an unauthorized drop, which will endanger your immigration status.
Definition of Full Time
- Undergraduate students, including those in post-baccalaureate programs, must register for and complete at least 4 courses (12 credit hours) per semester
- Graduate students must register for and complete a minimum of 2 courses (6 credit hours) per semester
- If you are not enrolled full-time as defined here, please contact the ISO immediately
Note: F-1 visa holders may only enroll in one online course per semester
Unauthorized Drop Below Full Time
If you drop below full-time enrollment without authorization in advance from the ISO, the ISO is federally mandated to report this in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS); and you will lose your F-1 status.
How to Apply for RCL
Submit a Request for Authorization for Reduced Course Load HERE