F-1 students are required to maintain full-time enrollment during the academic year. If you cannot wait/will not meet the requirement please contact the International Student Office (ISO).

Requesting a Reduced Course Load (RCL) consists of the following steps:

1) Read the Overview of the RCL process

2) Explore the RCL options to see what works for you

3) Submit a request for Authorization of RCL to ISO 


Before you begin, please read the following items to understand how the RCL process works.

What is Full-Time and why do I need an RCL?

Federal Regulations limit your ability to enroll less than full-time. If you cannot meet the full-time requirement you need to request an RCL. Dropping below full-time without RCL is considered an unauthorized drop, which will endanger your immigration status.

Definition of Full Time

  • Undergraduate students, including those in post-baccalaureate programs, must register for and complete at least 4 courses (12 credit hours) per semester
  • Graduate students must register for and complete a minimum of 2 courses (6 credit hours) per semester
  • If you are not enrolled full-time as defined here, please contact the ISO immediately

Note: F-1 visa holders may only enroll in one online course per semester

Unauthorized Drop Below Full Time

If you drop below full-time enrollment without authorization in advance from the ISO, the ISO is federally mandated to report this in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS); and you will lose your F-1 status.

How to Apply for RCL

Submit a Request for Authorization for Reduced Course Load HERE