If you have failed to maintain F-1 student status and wish to continue studying at Harrisburg University, you must regain valid status. Harrisburg University does not accept Terminated or Completed SEVIS records for a Request for Reinstatement with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You must leave the U.S. and re-enter using a new I-20 with a new SEVIS number.

Those planning to transfer to another institution must apply for reinstatement through the new school using the I-20 from that school.

Reasons why a student may fall out of F-1 student status:

  • Failure to extend I-20 before the expiration deadline
  • Failure to complete the F-1 transfer procedure in a timely manner
  • Failure to take less than a full course of study without prior written authorization from the International Student Office (ISO) for an excusable academic or medical reason under F-1 regulations
  • A student who has worked without authorization is also out of status, but is not eligible for reinstatement.

If you think you may be out of status, please contact ISO immediately by clicking New Support Ticket.

The longer you wait to address the problem, the more difficult it can become to fix. Furthermore, only students in valid F-1 status are eligible for F-1 benefits from the USCIS (e.g. CPT or OPT authorization).