After two (2) semesters are completed, a student on F-1 status may request a semester break if they have an accumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher

Students are able to take a full break or partial break.

Examples of full semester break: Break request for Fall and come back Spring semester

Example of partial semester break: Break request for Fall and come back Late Fall semester

Important Notes:

  • Harrisburg University operates on a trimester schedule and full time enrollment is expected year round. You must be approved for a semester break by the International Student Office (ISO). 
  • A student may NOT be employed on Curricular Practical Training (CPT) while on a semester break.
    • When a semester break is approved, CPT must cease as of the last day of classes of the semester before the break.
  • A student on break is not required to leave the U.S.
  • Students are permitted to travel outside the U.S. as long as they have a valid passport, visa, and active form I-20. 

How to request a Semester Break:

Breaks requests need to be submitted no later than the last day of their current semester before break.  Students should submit a request for a semester break via their student portal in Terra Dotta or by clicking HERE.

Note: H1-B

Students on H1-B status may also request a semester break and have the option to extend their break by an additional semester.  Students on H1-B status can request a break by submitting a ticket to the ISO Student Support Portal.

If you will be gone for more than two semesters, you will have to officially withdraw from the university by filling out the withdrawal form in MyHU.

When you want to return to HU to complete your studies, you will need to apply for readmission.

Please check out the Office of Records and Registration Student Support Portal for more information about the withdrawal and readmission processes.