Undergraduate Students: F-1 visa holders must be enrolled for a full-time course load of a minimum of four (4) courses [12 semester credits] each semester. Any courses done as overloads beyond full time status may be online courses.

To avoid SEVIS record Termination, you may not withdraw from a course leaving you with fewer than full time credits without special advance authorization from your DSO for Reduced Course Load (RCL) in your SEVIS record.

How do I meet the be physically present requirement?
The US government puts a limit on how many online courses students can take to ensure they are showing up and are accountable for in-person learning: only 1 course (3 credits) of a full time course load (12 credits undergraduate; 6 credits graduate) may be a designated online course. 

Undergraduate students: at least 9 of the 12 full time credits must be in classes that meet on campus.

Any credits beyond full time course load (called an overload) may be either on campus (Executive) or in online format. 

How do I stay on track to finish on time? What if I fall behind in credits due to failed courses?
The US government expects you to complete your degree program on time (by your Program End date listed on page one of your I-20). Program extensions will only be approved for academically or medically necessary reasons. 

Undergraduate students: be aware that even though 12 credits is full time, it is likely you will need a minimum of 15 credits each semester on average to finish on time.

Every program at HU has a recommended course sequence that allows for any required pre-requisite courses to be taken ahead of subsequent required courses. To stay on track, you must pay attention to course sequencing recommended in the Catalog, in your MyHU program portal, and recommended by the Registrar during course audit periods. 

Additional requirements

Maintain a Valid Passport and I-94

Passport: If your passport will expire within 6-12 months, or if you need to replace a lost or stolen passport, you should contact your embassy or consulate in the U.S. for instructions on obtaining an extension or new passport. Federal regulations require you to maintain a valid passport at all times

I-94: Your I-94 Departure Record can be obtained online from USCIS