Required Documents:

  • Valid Passport
  • U.S. Entry visa, expired or valid
  • I-94 (passport stamp/ I-94 printout or paper card)
  • If issued a paper I-94 card (via land border), do not surrender it at departure. Without the current I-94 card, you will need a valid visa to return to the U.S.
  • Appropriate immigration document (I-20 for F-1 status of I-797 Notice of Approval for H, O, or E status).

NOTE: If you are in F status, this benefit extends to the adjacent islands except Cuba. 

H, O, and E status holders are NOT eligible for automatic re-validation to the adjacent islands.

The automatic re-validation of visa benefits is not extended to:

  • Non-immigrants from countries designated by the U.S. Department of State as state sponsors of terrorism;
  • Individuals who have ever overstayed their visas; and
  • Non-immigrants who are applying for a new entry visa while in a contiguous territory.
    • Those who choose to apply for a new visa in a contiguous territory or cannot use the automatic validation of a visa benefit must receive the new visa before being granted permission to re-enter the U.S. If denied an entry visa, the individual will most likely have to return directly to the home country in order to obtain a new visa. 
  • All students and scholars must carefully weigh the risks of security clearance delays and the possibility of not being able to return to the U.S. before making arrangements to apply for a new visa in a contiguous territory.

Please note that entry visas to these countries may be required for certain foreign nationals. For travel to Canada, please see link below:

Automatic Visa Re-validation for Travel to Parts of North America

Under certain circumstances, if you have an expired U.S. Entry Visa you may re-enter the U.S. after a visit of 30 days or less to contiguous territories (Canada, Mexico and Adjacent Islands) without having to obtain a new U.S. Entry Visa prior to entry. This benefit is called "automatic re-validation of visa.'