To apply for a US Social Security Number (SSN), you should:
- Learn about the documents you need
- Complete and print the Social Security Card Application (Form SS-5)
- Apply at the Social Security Card Center and ask for a receipt to verify your submission.
- Wait 10 business days from the date you attend new student orientation before applying for your SSN.
- Once you receive your Social Security Card (approximately 2-6 weeks via mail) UPDATE the following:
- Your University records (i.e. the registrar)
- Your personal records (banks, employer, etc.)
- A Social Security Number will only be granted if it is needed for employment purposes.
SSN Application Documents
- Complete Social Security Card Application Form
- Proof of work-authorized immigration status
- Valid Passport
- Valid visa
- I-20 with the employment page completed and signed by a P/DSO
- Letter of enrollment verification from the International Student Office
- How to request an Enrollment Verification Letter:
- Submit a letter request HERE
- Evidence of employment (i.e. a recent pay slip or letter from your employer)
- Birth Certificate or Passport
- An acceptable document for proof of identity must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information, and preferably, a recent photograph.