How to Apply for CPT
Modified on: Tue, 6 Oct, 2020 at 9:15 AM
Complete the following steps to apply for CPT
- Obtain a copy of your official offer letter on company letterhead that is signed by the prospective employer. A photocopy is acceptable. The letter should include the employer’s name, full address, dates of employment, and a job description.
- Complete a CPT Form with your employer.
- Helpful Tips for completing the CPT Form
- Position Title and Position Description: The student’s position title and description are to be entered on these lines to indicate direct relation between the job duties and program of study.
- Start Date and End Date: The start and end date of CPT are to be entered on these lines. Do not enter dates of overall employment. A maximum of 364 days of CPT can be entered into SEVIS at a time.
- In order for your CPT to be processed, you must be registered for the semester during which the CPT start date falls. For example, if you would like to apply for CPT with a start date of September 1, you must be registered for the Fall semester (or alternatively the Late Summer semester), in order for the CPT to be authorized.
- Submit the CPT application via your student portal in Terra Dotta or click HERE
Did you find it helpful?
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.