How to Apply for CPT
Modified on: Thu, 19 Nov, 2020 at 9:29 AM
Complete the following steps to apply for CPT
- Obtain a copy of your official offer letter on company letterhead that is signed by the
prospective employer. A photocopy is acceptable. The letter should include the
employer’s name, full address, dates of employment, and a job description.
- Complete a CPT Form with your employer.
- Helpful Tips for completing the CPT Form
- Position Title and Position Description: The student’s position title and
description are to be entered on these lines to indicate direct relation
between the job duties and program of study.
- Start Date and End Date: The start and end date of CPT are to be entered
on these lines. Do not enter dates of overall employment. A maximum of
364 days of CPT can be entered into SEVIS at a time.
- In order for your CPT to be processed, you must be registered for the semester during
which the CPT start date falls. For example, if you would like to apply for CPT
with a start date of September 1, you must be registered for the Fall semester
(or alternatively the Late Summer semester), in order for the CPT to be authorized.
- Submit the CPT application via your student portal in Terra Dotta or click HERE
- When submitting requests in Terra Dotta, make sure you have completed all required
items and also make sure to hit SUBMIT at the top of the main page of the ticket or
it will not reach our office.
- Terra Dotta does not send confirmation emails, however when you successfully
complete the request you should see some text in a green box saying "Your request
has been acknowledged and will be processed in the order in which it was received"
with the date and time the request was received. That is how you know the request
has reached our office.
Did you find it helpful?
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.