Once you have received your STEM OPT EAD card, please submit a copy to the ISO and request for a new I-20 with approved STEM OPT.
You can submit your I-983 form for employment changes here.
STEM degree holders on the 24-month OPT extension are required to report to ISO within 10 days of any change of:
- Legal name
- Residential or mailing address
- Employer name
- Employer address
- Change or loss of employment
Changes that require submitting a new I-983 training plan:
- material changes to existing I-983, such as reduction in hours or compensation, change in duties, supervisor, or employer EIN
- change of employer or loss of employment requires submission of the “Final Evaluation on Student Progress” section of the I-983
- subsequent employment will require submission of a new I-983 training plan.
How to change your employer on STEM OPT
In order for a student to change their employer on STEM OPT, they must submit the following:
- Final self-evaluation on the bottom of page 5 on their I-983 form for their previous employer
- New I-983 form for their new employer (leaving page 5 blank, to be filled out at a later time)
Please submit your I-983 forms here
Unemployment on STEM OPT
Students receive an additional 60 days of allotted unemployment on STEM OPT, for a total of 150 days (including the 90 days of unemployment allotted on Post-Completion OPT). Any questions or concerns about unemployment should be directed to the ISO.